Effect of Overeating on Weight Gain

Although protein tries to aid oneself to limit muscle mass, still one shouldn’t count on to sticking to a static high protein diet and having as much food as one wants, while still continuing to burn body fat.

The effect of overconsumption of food on weight gain has been inspected in a research which comprised of 25 healthy adults with normal weight. After an initial phase of normal weight maintaining diet for determining their day-to-day calorie requirements, they were alienated into three groups.  The first group received 5%, the second one 15% and the third one 25% of their total daily calories from protein. Each of the adults were also overfed, consuming 40 percent more calories than their standard regular requirements. The study extended over an eight week period with the low-protein group consuming 6% of total calories from protein, 52% from fat and 42 from carbs. The proportion of the normal group was of 15% protein, 44% fats and 41% carbs, while the high protein group had 26% protein, 33% fats and 41% carbs.

Although all of the subjects gained weight, the average upsurge in the low-protein group was the lowest – only 3.16 kilograms. The normal protein group marked an average upsurge of 6.05 kilograms, while average weight gain of the high protein group was 6.51 percent. On the other hand, the average fat mass gain was more or less similar in all of the subjects (3.51 kg), which is a clear indication that the number calories are responsible for the increased body fat. The study also exhibited that while the weight gain was inferior in the low protein group, the subjects have stowed 90% of the additional calories in a form of fat, compared to the 50% kept by the normal and high-protein group.

Additionally, another motivating outcome developing from the research is that the low-protein group did not spot any muscle-gain, losing 0.70 of muscle mass over this time frame. On the flip side, the normal and high protein group put up a substantial sum of muscle mass – 2.87 kilograms and 3.18 kilograms respectively, which accounts for the improved weight gain. Both the standard protein group and the high protein group exposed a rise of their latent energy spending, which might be because of burning the calories in the muscle building process.

Moreover, the research lays out that overeating will affect in increased body fat irrespective of the source of calories. Increasing the consumption of protein, will result in increasing the muscle mass. And though the study has branded the group consuming 5% of their calorie from protein as the low-protein group, their regime was limited to only less protein than the required daily need for adults.




Image Source: All Images are taken from Google Images.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *